Value of Strain Ratio in the Assessment of Solitary Thyroid Nodules
Iraqi Postgraduate Medical Journal,
2020, Volume 19, Issue 4, Pages 297-303
Ultrasound elastography (UE) is widely used in the diagnosis of thyroid diseases.
to evaluate the diagnostic utility of elastography stain ratio in the assessment of solid solitary thyroid nodules.
PATIENTS AND METHODS:
a cross-sectional study was conducted on 65 selected patients with solid solitary thyroid nodules discovered on Ultrasound (U/S) examination. The study was conducted in the U/S unit of medical college/ Al-Nahrain university and U/S unit of Al-Imamein Al-Kadhimein Medical city in Baghdad during the period from February 2018 to October 2019. U/S findings (size, shape and echogenicity of the nodules, presence of calcification, elastography findings and measurement of stain ratio), and histopathological results of the FNA.
the final histopathological diagnosis of the 65 thyroid lesions revealed 46 (71%) benign and 19 (29%) malignant. Of the 19 malignant nodules; 12 were papillary carcinoma and 7 were follicular carcinoma. The mean age of the patients was 43.7 ±11.7 years (range 28 - 60) years, 50 (77%) of them were female and 15 (23%) were male, male: female ratio is 5:1. Strain ratio (SR) of Benign nodules was lower than that of malignant nodules (1.95±0.62 versus 6.11±3.4) and this difference was statistically significant (P- value <0.001. Best SR Cutoff - value was (>2.6) with a sensitivity of 100% & specificity of 86.4% (a higher value was more indicative of malignancy).
SR in a good parameter to aid differentiating benign from malignant solitary thyroid nodule. SR is higher in malignant thyroid nodules.
- Dobruch-Sobczak K, Migda B, Krauze A, et al. Prospective analysis of inter-observer and intra-observer variability in multi ultrasound descriptor assessment of thyroid nodules. J Ultrason 2019; 19: 198–206.
- Reiners C, Wegscheider K, Schicha H, et al. Prevalence of thyroid disorders in the working population of Germany: ultrasonography screening in 96,278 unselected employees. Thyroid 2004; 14:926–932.
- Liao LJ, Chen HW, Hsu WL, Chen YS. Comparison of Strain Elastography, Shear Wave Elastography, and Conventional Ultrasound in Diagnosing Thyroid Nodules. J Med Ultrasound. 2019 Jan-Mar;27(1):26-32. doi: 10.4103/JMU.JMU_46_18. Epub 2018 Jun 6.
- Kim HG, Moon HJ, Kwak JY, Kim EK. Diagnostic accuracy of the ultrasonographic features for subcentimeter thyroid nodules suggested by the revised American Thyroid Association guidelines. Thyroid 2013; 23:1583–1589.
- Nam‑Goong IS, Kim HY, Gong G, Lee HK, Hong SJ, Kim WB, et al. Ultrasonography‑guided fine‑needle aspiration of thyroid incidentaloma: Correlation with pathological findings. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2004;60:21‑8.
- Du YR, Ji CL, Wu Y, Gu XG. Combination of ultrasound elastography with TI-RADS in the diagnosis of small thyroid nodules (≤10 mm): A new method to increase the diagnostic performance. Eur J Radiol. 2018 Dec;109:33-40.
- Yang JR, Song Y, Xue SS, Ruan LT. Suggested amendment of TI-RADS classification of thyroid nodules by shear wave elastography. Acta Radiol. 2019 Dec 11:284185119889567.
- Yang BR, Kim EK, Moon HJ, Yoon JH, Park VY, Kwak JY. Qualitative and semiquantitative elastography for the diagnosis of intermediate suspicious thyroid nodules based on the 2015 American Thyroid Association guidelines. J Ultrasound Med 2018; 37:1007–1014.
- Fish SA, Langer JE, Mandel SJ. Sonographic imaging of thyroid nodules and cervical lymph nodes. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 2008; 37:401–417.
- Hoang JK, Lee WK, Lee M, Johnson D, Farrell S. US features of thyroid malignancy: pearls and pitfalls. Radiographics 2007; 27: 847–860.
- Russ G, Royer B, Bigorgne C, et al. Prospective evaluation of thyroid imaging reporting and data system on 4550 nodules with and without elastography. Eur J Endocrinol 2013;168:649–655.
- Yoon JH, Kwak JY, Kim EK, et al. How to approach thyroid nodules with indeterminate cytology. Ann Surg Oncol 2010;17:2147–2155.
- Park JY, Lee HJ, Jang HW, et al. A proposal for a thyroid imaging reporting and data system for ultrasound features of thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid 2009; 19:1257–1264.
- Dan H, Wang Y, Dan H, Li T, Hu B. Diagnosis of small single solid thyroid nodule with real time ultrasound elastography. Chin J Med Imaging Technol 2010; 26(1): 63-65.
- Trimboli P, Guglielmi R, Monti S, et al. Ultrasound sensitivity for thyroid malignancy is increased by real-time elastography: a prospective multicenter study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2012; 97(12): 4524-4530.
- Cantisani V, Lodise P, Grazhdani H, et al. Ultrasound elastography in the evaluation of thyroid pathology. Current status. Eur J Radiol. 2014; 83(3):420-428.
- Iannuccilli JD, Cronan JJ, Monchik JM. Risk for malignancy of thyroid nodules as assessed by sonographic criteria. J Ultrasound Med 2004; 23:1455–1464.
- Luo S, Kim EH, Dighe M, Kim Y. Thyroid nodule classification using ultrasound elastography via linear discriminant analysis. Ultrasonics 2011; 51:425–431.
- Shiina T, Nightingale KR, Palmeri ML, Hall TJ, Bamber JC, Barr RG, et al. WFUMB guidelines and recommendations for clinical use of ultrasound elastography: Part 1: Basic principles and terminology. Ultrasound Med Biol 2015;41:1126‑47.
- Magri F, Chytiris S, Chiovato L. The role of elastography in thyroid ultrasonography. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 2016;23:416‑22.
- Kratky J, Vitkova H, Bartakova J, Lukas J, Jiskra J. Neck muscles and content of carotid artery as reference tissue for strain ratio: a novel approach to improve the diagnostic performance of thyroid elastography? Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 2016; 124:192–197.
- Wang Y, Dan HJ, Dan HY, Li T, Hu B. Differential diagnosis of small single solid thyroid nodules using real-time ultrasound elastography. J Int Med Res. 2010;38(2):466–72.
- Yerli H, Yilmaz T, Oztop I. Clinical importance of diastolic sonoelastographic scoring in the management of thyroid nodules. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2013;34(3):E27–30.
- Görgülü FF. Which is the best reference tissue for strain elastography in predicting malignancy in thyroid nodules, the Sternocleidomastoid Muscle or the Thyroid Parenchyma? J Ultrasound Med. 2019 Nov;38(11):3053-3064. doi: 10.1002/jum.15013. Epub 2019 Apr 29.
- Park SH, Kim SJ, Kim EK. Interobserver agreement in assessing the sonographic and elastographic features of malignant thyroid nodules. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2009;193(5):W416–23.1.
- Ophir J, Alam SK, Garra B, et al. Elastography: ultrasonic estimation and imaging of the elastic properties of tissues. Proc Inst Mech Eng H 1999; 213:203–233.
- Wang H, Brylka D, Sun LN, Lin YQ, Sui GQ, Gao J. Comparison of strain ratio with elastography score system in differentiating malignant from benign thyroid nodules. Clin Imaging 2013; 37:50–55.
- Bojunga J, Herrmann E, Meyer G, Weber S, Zeuzem S, Friedrich-Rust M. Real-time elastography for the differentiation of benign and malignant thyroid nodules: a meta-analysis. Thyroid 2010; 20: 1145–1150.
- Xing P, Wu L, Zhang C, Li S, Liu C, Wu C. Differentiation of benign from malignant thyroid lesions: calculation of the strain ratio on thyroid sonoelastography. J Ultrasound Med 2011; 30:663–669.
- Rago T, Santini F, Scutari M. Elastography: new developments in ultrasound for predicting malignancy in thyroid nodules. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007;92:2917–22.
- Cantisani V, D’Andrea V, Mancuso E, et al. Prospective evaluation in 123 patients of strain ratio as provided by quantitative elastosonography and multiparametric ultrasound evaluation (ultrasound score) for the characterisation of thyroid nodules. Radiol Med 2013; 118:1011–1021.
- Fahad H, Tawfeeq R. The Role of Ultrasound Strain Elastography in Differentiating between Benign and Malignant Thyroid Nodules [PhD]. The Iraqi Scientific Council of Diagnostic Radiology; 2018.
- Lyshchik A, Higashi T, Asato R, et al. Thyroid gland tumor diagnosis at US elastography. Radiology 2005; 237:202–211.
- Kagoya R, Monobe H, Tojima H. Utility of elastography for differential diagnosis of benign and malignant thyroid nodules. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2010; 143:230–234.
- Ciledag N, Arda K, Aribas BK. The utility of ultrasound elastography and MicroPure imaging in the differentiation of benign and malignant thyroid nodules. Am J Roentgenol. 2012;198:W244–9.
- Cantisani V, D’Andrea A, Biancari F. Prospective evaluation of multiparametric ultrasound and quantitative elastosonography in the differential diagnosis of benign and malignant thyroid nodules: preliminary experience. Eur J Radiol. 2012;81:2678–83.
- Ning CP, Jiang SQ, Zhang T. The value of strain ratio in differential diagnosis of thyroid solid nodules. Eur J Radiol. 2012;81:286–291.
- Sun J, Cai J, Wang X. Real-time ultrasound elastography for differentiation of benign and malignant thyroid nodules: a meta-analysis. J Ultrasound Med 2014; 33:495–502
- Moon H, Sung J, Kim E, Yoon J, Youk J, Kwak J. Diagnostic Performance of Gray-Scale US and Elastography in Solid Thyroid Nodules. Radiology. 2012;262(3):1002-13.
- Article View: 50
- PDF Download: 53