Evaluation of the Plane Shaped Flap in Reconstruction of Congenital Hand Syndactyly
Iraqi Postgraduate Medical Journal,
2021, Volume 20, Issue 4, Pages 319-326
Time consuming, scar contracture, web creeping is risks with reconstruction by skin graft. dorsal metacarpal flaps minimize these complications however they still occur. This study is based on a plane-shaped advancement flap on the dorsum of the hand and a traction device for webspace to prevent contraction and creeping.
To evaluate the primary closure after releasing of tight syndactyly and minimizing creeping and contracture of Webspace
PATIENTS AND METHODS:
From January 2018 to May 2019 ten patients (10 Webspaces), 3 females and 7 males, age ranged (1-19) have congenital tight hand syndactyly (3 complexes, 5 simple incomplete,2 simple complete) .
Average time of operation was 60 min , primary closing of all incisions was done . one of the ten patients had hypertrophic scar at donor site of the flap. furthermore , four patients had web creeping ,one of them had epidermal sloughing of the flap, the others had creeping .
Dorsal advancement plane-shaped flap is helpful in reconstruction tight syndactyly However, it needs precise dissection . Some patient haven’t compliance with traction devices so it isn’t corresponding for every patient
- David warwick ,RoderickDunn,EvmanMelikyan, Jane Vadher. Oxford specialist handbooks in surgery: hand surgery,1st.ed.,oxford university press,U.K,2009:550.
- Charles H. thorn .Grabb and smith`s plastic surgery .7th.ed.,wolterskluwer/ Lippincott Williams and wilkin , Philadelphia ,2014:892.
- Gregory S. Georgiade, Ronald Riefkhol, L.scott Levin. Georgiade plastic & maxillofacial and reconstructive surgery .1st.ed., Williams and wilkins,Philadelphia,1997:978-50.
- Jacques duprac .surgical technique in orthopaedics and traumatology ,1st.ed., Elsevier ,paris ,2000:182.
- Kervin C. chung , Peter M. murvay. Hand surgery update , 1st.ed., American society for surgery of hand (ASSH).2011:291.
- Terri m. skirven, A. lee oysterman , jane M. fedorczyk , peter C. amadio .Rehabilitation of the hand and upper extremity ,6th.ed., Elsevier mosby ,2011:642.
- Scott W. wolf, Robert N. hotchickiss ,wiliamc.pederson , scott W. kozin , mark s. cohen . green`s operative hand surgery , 7th ed., Elsevier ,Philadelphia , 2017 :12-19.
- Juan liuet.al .dorsal plane shaped advancement flap for the reconstruction of Webspace in syndactyly without skin grafting : A preliminary report , journal of plastic reconstructive and aesthetic surgery ,2015 ;68:e167-e173.
- Withey SJ, Kangesu T, Carver N, Sommerlad BC. The open finger technique for the release of syndactyly. J Hand Surg Br. 2001;26:4-7.
10. Harith A. Alani , Ahmed Abdul Razzaq , Zakaria Y. Arajy. Webspace traction device: an effective way for the prevention of Webspace skin graft contraction .Eur J PlastSurg , 2012 ; 35:873–80.
11. Marios D. verkins et.al .congenital syndactyly : outcome of surgical treatment in 131 webs ,technique in hand and upper extremity surgery . 2010;14:1-7 .
12. Ross D.farhadlen ,neilbulstrode Sabrina cugeno .plastic and reconstructive surgery : Approaches and technique,1st ed. ,wiley ,U.K ,2015:664 .
13. Yi-jialim, Lam chuan Teoh, EngHinLee . Reconstructive of syndactyly and polydactyly of the toes with dorsal pentagonal island flap : A technique that allow primary skin closure without use of skin graft , the journal of foot and ankle surgery .2007;46: 86-92 .
14. N.S Niranjan , S.M. Azad , A.N.M. fleming ,S.H. liew. Long term results of primary syndactyly correction by trilobed flap technique , The British Association of plastic surgery ,Elsevier Ltd ,2005;58:14-21.
15. Xiaofei Tian et Al. single stage sepration of 3- and 4- finger incomplete simple syndactyly with contiguous gull wing flaps : A technique to minimize or avoid skin graft , J hand surgery Am. , 2017 ;42 :257-64.
16. Hajime matsumine et al. .improved “ bell-bottom” flap surgical technique for syndactyly without skin graft , plast. Reconstr. Surg. . 2011;128:504e-9e .
17. Quaba AA,DavisonPM (1990) the distally based dorsal hand flap.Br J plast surg 43:28-39.
18. Aydin A, ozden BC dorsal metacarpal island flap in syndactyly treatment .Ann plast surg 2004;52:43-48.
19. Frick L, fraise B, Wavreille G, fron D, Martinot V Result of surgical treatment in simple syndactyly using commissural dorsal flap: About54 procedures . chir main 2008; 27:76-82
20. GengizYildrim et al. . correction of syndactyly using a dorsal separated V-Y advancement flap and a volar triangular flap in adults ,annals of plastic surgery ,2011;67:357-63.
21. Weiyang Gao et al. .dorsal pentagonal local flap: A new technique of web reconstruction of syndactyly without skin graft , Aesthplastsurg ,2011;35:530-37.
22. OnderTan ,BekirAtik , DuygnErgen . versatile use of the VM- plasty for reconstruction of the Webspace , Annals of plastic surgery ,2005;55:623-28.
- Article View: 47
- PDF Download: 56