Blood Donation; Motivators and Barriers among the Attendees of the National Centre for Blood Transfusion/ Baghdad 2019
Willingness to donate blood is affected by many factors such as availability of blood banks and their accessibility to the public, awareness regarding blood donation and knowledge about blood donation.
To evaluate the (Knowledge, attitude and practice) in a sample of subjects toward blood donation. To determine motivators and barriers that influence blood donation and to study the influence of some demographic character with the means of the KAP scores.
A descriptive cross sectional study was conducted in the National Centre for Blood Donation in Baghdad, data collection was carried out from 1st of March to 31st of May 2019, on a sample of four hundred participants.
This study results demonstrated higher rate of male participants by 87%, , better knowledge among females (p= 0.001), females also got better attitude than males (p= 0.001).
The most reported motives for blood donation was that they knew it's good for their health and because they liked to help others. The most reported barriers were that they weren't approached to donate and fear of the medical errors.
- World Health Organization. World Blood Donor Day 2017. World Health Organization. Accessed on: 15 June 2019. Available https://www.who.int/campaigns/world-blood-donor-day/2017/en/
- Karim AM, Admassu K, Schellenberg J, Alemu H, Getachew N, Ameha A, Tadesse L, Betemariam W. Effect of Ethiopia’s health extension program on maternal and newborn health care practices in 101 rural districts: a dose-response study. PloS one. 2013;8.
- WB WS. Availability-Fact sheet N. 279. 2014. Accessed on: 23 June 2019. Available http://www.searo.who.int/thailand/factsheets/fs0029/en/.
- Abolfotouh MA, Al-Assiri MH, Al-Omani M, Al Johar A, Al Hakbani A, Alaskar AS. Public awareness of blood donation in Central Saudi Arabia. International journal of general medicine. 2014;7:401.
- Alfouzan N. Knowledge, attitudes, and motivations towards blood donation among King Abdulaziz Medical City population. International journal of family medicine. 2014; 2014.
- Ingale L, Gessesse S, Miruts G. Magnitude and factors associated with voluntary blood donation practice among adult Mekelle population, north Ethiopia: a community-based cross-sectional study. Research & Reviews: Journal of Oncology and Hematology. 2019;4:5-13.
- Melku M, Terefe B, Asrie F, Enawgaw B, Melak T, Tsegay YG, Areba M, Shiferaw E. Knowledge, attitude, and practice of adult population towards blood donation in Gondar Town, Northwest Ethiopia: a community based cross-sectional study. Journal of blood transfusion. 2016;2016.
- Ojulong J, Muhoza JC, Monteiro L. Barriers that prevent health science students from donating blood in an African setting. International Journal Of Community Medicine And Public Health. 2016 Dec 22;3:3544-47.
- World Health Organization. Screening donated blood for transfusiontransmissible infections: recommendations. World Health Organization; 2010.
10. Mirutse G, Fisseha G, Abebe L, Birhanu Z, Alemayehu M. Intention to donate blood among the eligible population in Mekelle City, Northern Ethiopia: using the theory of planned behavior. American Journal of Health Research. 2014;2:158-63.
11. Abderrahman BH, Saleh MY. Investigating knowledge and attitudes of blood donors and barriers concerning blood donation in Jordan. Procediasocial and behavioral sciences. 2014;116:2146-54.
12. Al-Haqqan T, Husain A, Al-Kandari N, Al-Rashidi L, Al-Daihani N, Mitra AK. A Cross-Sectional Study of Knowledge, Attitude, Practice, and Barriers Regarding Blood Donation among General Population in Kuwait. International Journal of Community & Family Medicine. 2016 ;2016.
13. Kumari S, Raina T. A comprehensive analysis of factors that motivate and hinder the blood donation decision among the younger population. J Behav Heal.. 2015;4:107.
14. Almutairi SH, Almalaq AA, Albalawi YM, Aloufi RM, Al-Mutairi MR, Albiek AF. Assessment of Knowledge, Attitude and Practice (KAP) of Saudi Adult toward Blood Donation in Riyadh City, 2017. The Egyptian Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2018;70:507-10.
15. Zucoloto ML, Martinez EZ. Development of a questionnaire to assess knowledge regarding blood donation in a Brazilian population. Revista brasileira de hematologia e hemoterapia. 2016;38:175-77.
16. Almkhtar MY, Mostafa WA. Quality of life of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Mosul. Annals of the College of Medicine Mosul. 2012;38:20-26.
17. Omar WA, Abdelsahib SA, Raad A, Kalefa HJ. Assessment of the Motives for Voluntary Blood Donation in the Donors of Iraqi National Blood Bank in Baghdad. Iraqi Academic Scientific Journal. 2018;17:45-48.
18. Mon AA. A STUDY ON THE FACTORS AFFECTING VOLUNTARY BLOOD DONATION IN NATIONAL BLOOD CENTER, YANGON(Doctoral dissertation, Yangon University of Economics).
19. Agrawal A, Tiwari AK, Ahuja A, Kalra R. Knowledge, attitude and practices of people towards voluntary blood donation in Uttarakhand. Asian journal of transfusion science. 2013;7:59.
- Article View: 66
- PDF Download: 26