Prognostic Significance of Plasma APRIL Level in Patients with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
Iraqi Postgraduate Medical Journal,
2022, Volume 21, Issue 2, Pages 250-254
A proliferation-inducing ligand (APRIL) is a member of tumor necrosis factor family which plays an important role in B-cell development. It activates chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) cells by reacting with its receptors, enhancing immune recognition, proliferation, and survival of the leukemia cells.
To assess the level of APRIL in newly diagnosed CLL patients in comparison with the control group and to correlate between the plasma APRIL level and hematological parameters and clinical Binet stages.
PATIENTS AND METHODS:
This case-control study was conducted on 40 adult newly diagnosed CLL patients with 40 healthy individuals served as controls. Plasma APRIL levels were tested by ELISA.
plasma APRIL level in CLL patients was significantly higher than those of healthy control group (P-value < 0.001). There were statistically insignificant correlations between APRIL level and hematological parameters. There was significant association between absence of splenomegaly and higher APRIL level (P=0.011), while no significant statistical differences were found with lymphadenopathyand hepatomegaly. There was no significant association between plasma APRIL level and Binet stages (P=0.180).
There were insignificant correlations between APRIL level and hematological parameters and Binet stage. APRIL level was not found to be a useful marker to predict prognosis in patients with CLL.
- Del Principe MI, Del Poeta G, Buccisano F, Maurillo L, Venditti A, Zucchetto A, et al. Clinical significance of ZAP-70 protein expression in B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Blood. 2006; 108:853-61.
- Dillon S, Gross J, Ansell SM, Novak AJ. An APRIL to remember: novel TNF ligands as therapeutic targets. Nat Rev 2006; 5:235-46.
- Ingold K, Zumsteg A, Tardivel A, Huard B, Steiner QG, Cachero TG, et al. Identification of proteoglycans as the APRIL-specific binding partners. J Exp Med 2005; 201:1375-83. doi: 10.1084/jem.20042309
- Endo T, Nishio M, Enzler T, Cottam HB, Fukuda T, Jameset DF, et al. BAFF and APRIL support chronic lymphocytic leukemia B-cell survival through activation of the canonical NF-kappaB pathway. Blood 2007; 109:703-10.
- Nishio M, Endo T, Tsukada N, Ohata J, Kitada S, Reed JC, et al. Nurse-like cells express BAFF and APRIL which can promote survival of chronic lymphocytic leukemia cells via a paracrine pathway distinct from that of SDF-1alpha. Blood 2005; 106:1012-20.
- Kay NE, Hamblin TJ, Jelinek DF, Dewald GW, Byrd JC, Farag S, et al. Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program (2002) 2002 (1):193-213. https://doi.org/10.1182/asheducation-2002.1.193
- Montserrat E and Hillmen P. Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia and other chronic B-cell disorders. In: Hoffbrand V, Higgs DR, Keeling DM, Mehta AB (eds). Postgraduate Haematology. 7th edition. UK: Wiley Blackwell; 2016. p. 500-523.
- Planelles L, Carvalho-Pinto CE, Hardenberg G, Smaniotto S, Savino W, Gómez-Caro R, et al. APRIL promotes B-1 cell associated neoplasm. Cancer Cell 2004;6:399-408. doi.org/10.1016/j.ccr.2004.08.033
- Ferrer G, Hodgson K, Pereira A, Otero MJ, Elena M, Colomer D, et al. Combined analysis of levels of serum B-cell activating factor and a proliferation-inducing ligand as predictor of disease progression in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Leukemia & Lymphoma 2011;52:2064-68. DOI: 10.3109/10428194.2011.591008
10. Tecchio C, Nichele I, Mosna F, Zampieri F, Leso A, Al-Khaffaf A, et al. A proliferation-inducing ligand (APRIL) serum levels predict time to first treatment in patients affected by B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Eur J Haematol 2011; 87:228-34.
11. Junak A, Husb I, Chocholskab S, Szczepanekb E, Siekluckaa M, Dmoszyn A, et al. BAFF and APRIL expression in B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia: correlation with biological and clinical features. Leuk Res 2009;33:1319-27.
12. El Shora O, Shahbah A. Serum-soluble APRIL influences survival in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Egypt J Haematol 2016; 41:194-99.
13. Esatoglu SN, Keskin D, Kutnu M, Elverdi T, Salihoglu A, Eskazan AE. The prognostic value of serum APRIL levels in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Blood 2014;124:5648. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood.V124.21.5648.5648.
14. Shalaby NA, Eissa DSM, El-Said NMA. Evaluation of a proliferation-inducing ligand (APRIL) level in patients with b-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Thesis submitted for partial fulfillment of Master Degree in Clinical Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University; 2017. Available from: http://srv4.eulc.edu.eg/eulc_v5/Libraries/Thesis/BrowseThesisPages.aspx?fn=ThesisPicBody&BibID=12454066&TotalNoOfRecord=162&PageNo=1&PageDirection=First.
- Article View: 35
- PDF Download: 10