Outcome of Frontline Therapy of Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Patients in Baghdad Hematology Centering the Medical City
Iraqi Postgraduate Medical Journal,
2022, Volume 21, Issue 3, Pages 280-287
Hodgkin’s lymphoma is one of most curable lymphoid malignancy. Here we conducted in this study the outcome of frontline therapy in adult Hodgkin’s lymphoma patients.
AIM OF STUDY:
1. To evaluate the results of first line treatment with ABVD chemotherapy protocol in patients with Hodgkin’s lymphoma in this study.
2. To find predictors associated with poor outcome of first line treatment with ABVD chemotherapy protocol in patients with Hodgkin’s lymphoma in this study.
This is a retrospective and prospective study in which information was gathered from Baghdad hematology center involving 50 patients who were diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma from 1/1/ 2017 until mid of 2019 and treated with frontline therapy, ABVD chemotherapy protocol.
The mean age of diagnosis was 29.6 ±12.12 year. Nodular sclerosis was the predominant subtypes constituted (62%) of patients. Advanced stage disease involved 86% of patients. At interim evaluation by imaging studying including either ultrasound and CT scan or Pet scan according to availability , complete remission, partial remission and progressive disease involving 58% , 26% and 16% of patients respectively. Two years progression free survival was 68.95%. There was a strong correlation between lymphocytopenia and progression free survival. In this study, univariate analysis showed that initial lymphocytopenia was poorly associated with chance of achieving complete remission at end of treatment.
The outcome of ABVD in this study shows lymphocytopenia was poorly associated with complete remission at end of treatment of patients.
- Shanbhag S, Ambinder RF. Hodgkin lymphoma: a review and update on recent progress. CA: a cancer journal for clinicians. 2018;68:11632.
- Townsend W, Linch D. Hodgkin's lymphoma in adults. The Lancet. 2012;380:836-47.
- Ansell SM. Hodgkin lymphoma: 2016 update on diagnosis, risk‐stratification, and management. American journal of hematology. 2016;91:434-42.
- Follows GA, Ardeshna KM, Barrington SF, Culligan DJ, Hoskin PJ, Linch D, Sadullah S, Williams MV, Wimperis JZ, British Committee for Standards in Haematology. Guidelines for the first line management of classical Hodgkin lymphoma. British journal of haematology. 2014;166:34-49.
- Shafi RG, Al-Mansour MM, Kanfar SS, Al Hashmi H, Alsaeed A, AlFoheidi M, Ibrahim EM. Hodgkin lymphoma outcome: a retrospective study from 3 tertiary centers in Saudi Arabia. Oncology research and treatment. 2017;40:288-92.
- Mohammed zaki LB, Hasan KM, Polus RK, Yassin AK. Clinicopathological, immunohistochemical charachtaristic and the outcome of Hodghkin lymphoma patients in Erbil city, Iraq. Iraqi Journal of Hematology. 2019;8:14.
- Rigacci L, Puccini B, Zinzani PL, Biggi A, Castagnoli A, Merli F, Balzarotti M, Stelitano C, Spina M, Vitolo U, Stefoni V. The prognostic value of positron emission tomography performed after two courses (INTERIM‐PET) of standard therapy on treatment outcome in early stage Hodgkin lymphoma: A multicentric study by the fondazione italiana linfomi (FIL). American journal of hematology. 2015;90:499-503.
- Iannitto E, Minardi V, Gobbi PG, Calvaruso G, Tripodo C, Marcheselli L, Luminari S, Merli F, Baldini L, Stelitano C, Callea V. Response-Guided ABVD Chemotherapy plus Involved-Field Radiation Therapy for Intermediate-Stage Hodgkin Lymphoma in the Pre–Positron Emission Tomography Era: A Gruppo Italiano Studio Linfomi (GISL) Prospective Trial. Clinical Lymphoma and Myeloma. 2009;9:138-44.
- Boo YL, Ting Y, Siew H, Yap DF, Toh SG, Lim SM. Clinical features and treatment outcomes of Hodgkin lymphoma: A retrospective review in a Malaysian tertiary hospital. Blood research. 2019;54:210-17.
10. Montalbán C, García JF, Abraira V, González-Camacho L, Morente MM, Bello JL, Conde E, Cruz MA, García-Sanz R, García-Laraña J, Grande C. Influence of biologic markers on the outcome of Hodgkin's lymphoma: a study by the Spanish Hodgkin's Lymphoma Study Group. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2004;22:1664-73.
11. Barnes JA, LaCasce AS, Zukotynski K, Israel D, Feng Y, Neuberg D, Toomey CE, Hochberg EP, Canellos GP, Abramson JS. End-of-treatment but not interim PET scan predicts outcome in nonbulky limited-stage Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Annals of oncology. 2010 ;22:910-15.
12. Stamatoullas A, Brice P, Bouabdallah R, Mareschal S, Camus V, Rahal I, Franchi P, Lanic H, Tilly H. Outcome of patients older than 60 years with classical Hodgkin lymphoma treated with front line ABVD chemotherapy: frequent pulmonary events suggest limiting the use of bleomycin in the elderly. British journal of haematology. 2015;170:179-84.
13. Makita S, Maruyama D, Maeshima AM, Taniguchi H, Miyamoto KI, Kitahara H, Fukuhara S, Munakata W, Kobayashi Y, Itami J, Tobinai K. Clinical features and outcomes of 139 Japanese patients with Hodgkin lymphoma. International journal of hematology. 2016 ;104:236-44.
14. Smolewski P, Robak T, Krykowski E, Blasiñska-Morawiec M, Niewiadomska H, Pluzanska A, Chmielowska E, Zambrano O. Prognostic factors in Hodgkin’s disease: multivariate analysis of 327 patients from a single institution. Clinical Cancer Research. 2000;6:1150-60.
15. Law MF, Ng TY, Chan HN, Lai HK, Ha CY, Leung C, Ng C, Yeung YM, Yip SF. Clinical features and treatment outcomes of Hodgkin's lymphoma in Hong Kong Chinese. Archives of medical science: AMS. 2014;10:498.
16. Hutchings M, Loft A, Hansen Metal. FDG-PET after two cycles of chemo therapy predicts treatment failure and progression-free survival in Hodgkin lymphoma. Blood 2006;107:52–59.
17. Lapuz C, Enjeti AK, O'Brien PC, Capp AL, Holliday EG, Gupta S. Outcomes and relapse patterns following chemotherapy in advanced Hodgkin lymphoma in the positron emission tomography era. Blood and Lymphatic Cancer. 2018;8:13.
18. Kumar A, Burger IA, Zhang Z, Drill EN, Migliacci JC, Ng A, La Casce A, Wall D, Witzig TE, Ristow K, Yahalom J. Definition of bulky disease in early stage Hodgkin lymphoma in computed tomography era: prognostic significance of measurements in the coronal and transverse planes. haematologica. 2016;101:1237-43.
19. Porrata LF, Ristow K, Colgan JP, Habermann TM, Witzig TE, Inwards DJ, Ansell SM, Micallef IN, Johnston PB, Nowakowski GS, Thompson C. Peripheral blood lymphocyte/monocyte ratio at diagnosis and survival in classical Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Haematologica. 2012;97:262-69.
20. Maddi RN, Linga VG, Iyer KK, Chowdary JS, Gundeti S, Digumarti R, Paul TR. Clinical profile and outcome of adult Hodgkin lymphoma: experience from a tertiary care institution. Indian journal of medical and paediatric oncology: official journal of Indian Society of Medical & Paediatric Oncology. 2015;36:255.
- Article View: 43
- PDF Download: 10