Assessment of Knowledge and Attitudes of Medical Students on Tuberculosis
Iraqi Postgraduate Medical Journal,
2022, Volume 21, Issue 3, Pages 360-367
Tuberculosis is one of the most common communicable diseases world wild and continues to be a major global health problem. It causes disease among millions of people each year, and, after HIV, it ranks as the second leading cause of death from an infectious disease worldwide. TB is a public health priority in Iraq. A report published by the World Health Organization highlighted ' the value of undergraduate tuberculosis training and outlined a systematic educational plan to ensure that students are provided with the necessary knowledge, skills, and attitudes essential to the effective management of tuberculosis.
AIM OF STUDY:
To assess the level of knowledge and attitude of medical students towards tuberculosis in the College of Medicine /University of Kufa and College of Medicine /University of Babylon in Iraq .
A cross-sectional study was done on medical students (4th ,5th,6th stages) at College of Medicine/ University of Kufa and College of Medicine / University of Babylon in Iraq during one year. Data was entered and statistical analysis conducted using statistical package for the social sciences version 20 (SPSS).Chi square test(X2-test) used for categorical variables. P value of 0.05 or less considered statistically significant.
The overall knowledge of all students(84.5%) and overall attitude (76%).There was a significant difference between male and female in regarding attitudes questions, male percent of good attitudes was (79.9%) higher than female percent(73.8%). The percent of Babylon medical students of good knowledge was (86.7%) higher than percent of good knowledge of Kufa medical students (81.9%), but there was no significant difference between both colleges.
The overall knowledge and attitudes were high in the present study .The percent of knowledge for Babylon medical students were higher than the percent of knowledge for Kufa medical students. There was a low percent of correct answers in some aspects regarding knowledge about epidemiology, chemoprophylaxis, transmission isolation of active disease patients and treatment of tuberculosis patients with human immunodeficiency virus.
- Barber DL, Sakai S, Kudchadkar RR, Fling SP, Day TA, Vergara JA, Ashkin D, Cheng JH, Lundgren LM, Raabe VN, Kraft CS. Tuberculosis following PD-1 blockade for cancer immunotherapy. Science translational medicine. 2019;11.
- Sheet PA. http://www. who. int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs385/en.
- CDC; TB; Basic TB Facts. Cdc.gov. 2017 [cited 9 April2017]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/basics/default.htm
- Dheda K, Esmail A, Limberis J, Maartens G. Selected questions and controversies about bedaquiline: a view from the field. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. 2016;20:S24-32.
- Culqui-Lévano DR, Rodriguez-Valín E. Analysis of extrapulmonary tuberculosis in Spain: 2007–2012 National Study. Enfermedades infecciosas y microbiologia clinica (English ed.). 2017 Feb 1;35:82-87.
- Woith WM, Volchenkov G, Larson JL. Russian health care workers' knowledge of tuberculosis and infection control [Notes from the field]. The international journal of tuberculosis and lung disease. 2010;14:1489-92.
- Irani AD, Shahraki AH, Ghaderi E, Nasehi M, Mostafavi E. Lack of optimum practice among health care workers regarding tuberculosis in Iran: a knowledge, attitude, and practice study. American journal of infection control. 2015;43:e7-12.
- Montagna MT, Napoli C, Tafuri S, Agodi A, Auxilia F, Casini B, Coscia MF, D’Errico MM, Ferrante M, Fortunato A, Germinario C. Knowledge about tuberculosis among undergraduate health care students in 15 Italian universities: a cross-sectional study. BMC public health. 2014;14:1-6.
- Zhang S, Ruan W, Li Y, Wang X, Wang X. Experiences of the parents caring for their children during a tuberculosis outbreak in high school: a qualitative study. BMC Public Health. 2014;14:1-7.
10. Rana M, Sayem A, Karim R, Islam N, Islam R, Zaman TK, Hossain G. Assessment of knowledge regarding tuberculosis among non-medical university students in Bangladesh: a cross-sectional study. BMC public health. 2015;15:1-7.
11. Mehta D, Bassi R, Singh M, Mehta C. To study the knowledge about tuberculosis management and national tuberculosis program among medical students and aspiring doctors in a high tubercular endemic country. Annals of Tropical Medicine and Public Health. 2012;5:206.
12. Hoffner S, Sahebi L, Ansarin K, Sabour S, Mohajeri P. Mycobacterium tuberculosis of the Beijing genotype in Iran and the World Health Organization Eastern Mediterranean Region: a meta-analysis. Microbial Drug Resistance. 2018;24:693-98.
13. 13-Fang L, Gao P, Bao H, Tang X, Wang B, Feng Y, Cong S, Juan J, Fan J, Lu K, Wang N. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in China: a nationwide prevalence study. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine. 2018 ;6:421-30.
14. Ali Mohammad Alelyani, Abdullah Mohammed Zain Aldeen, Rahaf Ghazi Altwairqi, Shatha Sameer Alim, Jaber Mohammed Alelyani, Haidar Mohammed Alshamrani, Badreyah Ahmad Al-Dauig, Manal Khalaf Alharbi, Seham Matar Al.Osaimi. Knowledge, Attitude and Practice against Tuberculosis Infection among Medical Students Medical School at Taif University, Taif city,Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Int J Med Res Prof. 2017; 3:139-43.
15. Behnaz F, Mohammadzade G. Razieh S. Mousavi e roknabadi, Mahmoud Mohammadzadeh, Assessment of knowledge, attitudes and practices regarding tuberculosis among final year students in Yazd, central Iran. J. Epidemiol. Glob. Health. 2014;4:81-85.
16. Ou Y, Luo Z, Mou J, Ming H, Wang X, Yan S, Tan A. Knowledge and determinants regarding tuberculosis among medical students in Hunan, China: a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2018;18:1-7.
17. Laurenti P, Federico B, Raponi M, Furia G, Ricciardi W, Damiani G. Knowledge, experiences, and attitudes of medical students in Rome about tuberculosis. Medical science monitor: international medical journal of experimental and clinical research. 2013;19:865.
18. Zhao Y, Ehiri J, Li D, Luo X, L Baveja SM, Dalal PJ. Awareness of the Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme and attitude to tuberculosis patients amongst medical undergraduates. Journal of Academy of Medical Sciences. 2012;2:68.
19. Sanusi SB, Talip BA, Mohamed M. The Descriptive Study of Knowledge and Awareness of Tuberculosis Among Students in Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia. Journal of Science and Technology. 2017;9.
- Article View: 29
- PDF Download: 4