Evaluation of Family PHysicians knowledge, Attituds and Practice for Emergency Services
Iraqi Postgraduate Medical Journal,
2022, Volume 21, Issue 3, Pages 362-372
Provision of emergency care is an integral part of general practice, and family health physicians play a crucial role in the management of medical emergencies.
To evaluate the emergency health care services delivery at PHC level in family Health centers in Baghdad city, in terms of knowledge, attitudes and practices of the physicians (service providers) towards emergency service.
A cross-sectional study done in 22 Family Healthcare Centers, targeting all doctors who work in these centers who accepted to participate, 86 out of 100 agreed to participate. A self-administered questionnaire was used to obtain the basic characteristics of participants in addition to assessing their knowledge, attitudes and practices.
Fifty nine percent of participants disagreed that emergency cases can be effectively managed in primary health care settings while 52.3% had the feeling of adequate self-confidence to respond to emergency cases at the primary care level. Only thirty three percent of participants had positive attitude and 73.3% had fair/good practice, while there were no statistically significant associations between practice scores or attitude scores with other variables.
lack of confidence among some of the interviewed Family physicians of their capabilities in providing emergency services, with fair practice levels and negative attitudes regarding management of emergency cases.
- World Health Organization. Primary health care: World Health Organization; 27 February 2019 [Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/primary-health-care. Accessed at: Aug/02/2019.
- Royal College of General Practitioners. Royal College of General Practitioners. Discover general practice London2019 [Available from: http://www.rcgp.org.uk/training-exams/discover-general-practice.aspx. Accessed at: 12/June/2019.
- Foot C, Naylor C, Imison C. The quality of GP diagnosis and referral. An Inquiry into the Quality of General Practice in England. London: The King’s Fund. 2010.
- Roland M, Everington S. Tackling the crisis in general practice. British Medical Journal Publishing Group; 2016.
- Framework for a Public Health Emergency Operations Centre [Internet] Geneva: World Health Organization; 2015 [Available from: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/196135/9789241565134_eng.pdf?sequence=1. Accessed at: 17/June/2019.
- Affun-Adegbulu; C, Ricarte; B, Belle; SV, Damme; WV, Pas; Rvd, Put; WvD, et al. Primary health care and health emergencies. World Health Organization,. 2018.
- American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP). Emergency Medicine, Family Physicians in Oct 30, 2017 [Available from: https://www.aafp.org/about/policies/all/emergency-medicine.html. Accessed at: 20/June/2019.
- Mahfouz A, Abdelmoneim I, Y Khan M, Daffalla A, M Diab M, N El-Gamal M, et al. Primary health care emergency services in Abha district of southwestern Sauid Arabia2007:103-12 .
- Mohey A, Al azmi SF. Primary Healthcare Emergency Services in Alexandria, Egypt 2016. Quality in Primary Care. October 10, 2017;25:303-15.
10. Abu-Grain SH, Alsaad SS, El Kheir DY. Factors affecting primary health-care physicians' emergency-related practice; Eastern Province, KSA. J Family Med Prim Care. 2018;7:739-51.
11. Behghadami MA, Janati A, Sadeghi-Bazargani H, Gholizadeh M, Rahmani F, Arab-Zozani M. Assessing Preparedness of Non-Hospital Health Centers to Provide Primary Emergency Care; A Systematic Review. Bull Emerg Trauma. 2019;7:201-11.
12. Cernuda Martínez JA, Castro Delgado R, Arcos González P. Self-perceived limitations and difficulties by Primary Health Care Physicians to assist emergencies. Medicine (Baltimore). 2018;97:e13819-e.
13. Liddy C, Dreise H, Gaboury I. Frequency of in-office emergencies in primary care. Canadian family physician Medecin de famille canadien. 2009;55:1004-5.e1-4.
14. Forde E, Bromilow J, Jackson S, Wedderburn C. Managing emergencies in primary care: does real-world simulation-based training have any lasting impact? BMJ Simulation and Technology Enhanced Learning. 2019;5:57-58.
- Article View: 44
- PDF Download: 16