Analytical Study of Paternity Test Cases in Iraq During the Period ( 2002 – 2007 )
Iraqi Postgraduate Medical Journal,
2010, Volume 9, Issue 4, Pages 449-456
An analytical study was done for all paternity test cases referred to the paternity & kinship laboratorary in Medico-Legal Institute in Baghdad during 6years period of time (2002 - 2007). The total numbers of sons were calculated. The Total numbers of whole cases were calculated and divided according to the method of result analysis whether (direct or indirect).
Statistical calculation of cases was done according to the presence of Kinship between mother and father in each family ,their reference from variable states in the country ,the reasons of reference & the results of exclusion and inclusion for both variable blood groups and HLA Tissue Typing Tests.
To compare with previous studies, and notice if that there was a fluctuation in the number of referred cases and changes in the causes of reference influenced by Political , Social , Economical and security situations during the period 2002 – 2007 in Iraq .
2-Blood Group Factors Examination
3-HLA – Tissue Typing
The total serial numbers and total practical numbers and total numbers of all children of whole cases referred to MLI during (2002-2007) were calculated.Beside to the total numbers of practical cases were divided and calculated according to the method of result analysis (Direct and Indirect) during ( 2002-2007 )and the total particular numbers of cases were divided & calculated according to the kinship between the father and mother during (2002-2007), the Total numbers of serial cases were divided and calculated according to the reasons of reference legal ,social, and criminal causes of reference during the period (2002- 2007) and others.
1- The reasons for reference during 2002 to 2007 mainly from Baghdad were related to the legal factor rather than social ,due to increase the demand of families to gain the Iraqi nationality and ID card registration to gain their civilian and lawful rights (respectful,social,Financial,patrimony,etc….) ,Those families whose their member was a victim of political violent , mass graves ,war , crimes and immigrant dispute.
2- The HLA Tissue Typing was considered corner stone in exclusion paternity when the blood groups results were compatible between the putative father and child and it was considered a scientific document that help and consolidate the inclusion probability of paternity according to the circumstances of each case which was decided andrebated by the court of law .
1. Apurba Nandy , Blood group and disputed paternity and maternity cases In Principles of Forensic Medicine) New Central Book Agency(p) LTD, Chapter1, 1996 ; part II, 5: 123-27.
2. Bakir F.A. & Omer Aammerah J. .Analytical study for paternity test cases in Iraq. J. Fac. Med. Baghdad. 2001;43:3-5.
3. Butler J.M., Shen, Y. and Mccord, B. R.. " Forensic DNA typing: biology and technology behind STR markers." (2005) London: Academic Press.
4. Calafell, Francesc; et al." "Evolutionary dynamics of the human ABO gene" human Genetics 2008; 124: 123–35.
5. Fischbach FT, Dunning MB III, eds. Manual of Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests. (2004) 7th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
6. Ge J. wang T. ,Birdwell J.D.and Chakraborty R”Paternity analysis in special fatherless cases without direct testing of alleged father “.(2004) Forensic Science International:146S; S159-S161.
7. Hawkins BR " Fourteen year experience of HLA Typing applied to cases of disputed parentage in Hong Kong" 1997 ;HKMJ: 2 : 95-98.
8. Jae W.L.,Hye-Seung l.,mira P. and Juck-Joon H. "Paternity determination when the alleged fathers genotypes are un available "Forensic Science International 2001;123 :202-10.
9. Liu, QP; et.al "Bacterial glycosidases for the production of universal red blood cells" (2007) Biotechnol 25: 454–64.
10. Robin P. et al. " Tissue type tests"2008; 5: 1-3.
11. William Goodwin, Adrian L. and Sibte H. "An Introduction to Forensic genetics. (2007) John wiley & Sons,Ltd.
12. Web MD better information better health " Tissue type test information and resources" (2010).
- Article View: 257
- PDF Download: 107